Make the perfect soup for those cold days with flavors of tomatillos, cinnamon, and peppers with this Tomatillo and Sweet Potato Soup Recipe.
1.4 liters (6 cups)
Sweet Potato Soup Ingredients
• 60 ml Grapeseed Oil
• 455 g Pork Bones (smoked)
• 455 g Onions (peeled & diced)
• 1 Jalapeño (seeded & quartered)
• 2 Bay Leaves
• 1 Cinnamon Stick
• 3 Garlic Cloves (peeled)
• 115 g Poblano Peppers (stemmed, seeded, and diced)
• 1 tbsp Coriander (ground)
•240 ml White Wine (dry)
• 900 g Sweet Potatoes (peeled & cubed)
• 1.70 l Chicken Broth (low sodium)
• 1 tsp Kosher Salt
•½ tsp Black Pepper (ground)
Soup Garnishes Ingredients
• 680 g Tomatillos (peeled & quartered)
• 2 tbsp Grapeseed Oil
• 2 Jalapeño (seeded)
• 2 tbsp Lime (juiced)
• 2 tbsp Sugar (granulated)
• 40 g Cilantro Leaves (chopped)
• Salt (to taste)
• Pepper (to taste)
Sweet Potato Soup Directions
- Add oil to a medium-hot large stockpot. Add the smoked pork bones and render for 3 minutes. Add the jalapeño, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, garlic, onions, and poblanos and sauté for five (5) minutes.
- Add coriander and sauté for one (1) minute.
- Remove the bay leaves, cinnamon stick, and pork bones from the stockpot. Set aside the pork bones.
- Let the soup cool for 30 minutes.
- Add half the mixture into the blender container.
- Turn the machine on and start blending on the slowest configuration and gradually increase the speed into its highest setting.
- Blend for 20 seconds. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Return it to the pot to heat if necessary.
Soup Garnishes Directions
- Heat the sauté pan until it’s hot. Toss the tomatillos with oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the jalapeños and cook for 30 seconds. Add lime juice and sugar, and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate for garnish.